Monday 9 May 2011

Ancestor of the week - George Ellis - Part One - Domestic Life

This is the belated Ancestor the week post from 12th March 2011 and is about my 4th times Great Grandfather George Ellis. He has lead me on quite a journey, which is why the post is so late in being cast out to the ether.

About two months ago I received via Genes Reunited a message from a fellow researcher. We corresponded and confirmed that we were indeed connected to the same family. It then became clear to both of us that some of the data, collated 20 years ago was incorrect. My whole world stopped. How incorrect? I was right, I had the correct individual, and the details of his marriages, well two of them anyway, and of this son, my direct line of descent. What was incorrect was the birth place of his other children. I revisited my original notes and for reasons which are unclear, I have indeed made a mistake, thankfully, it can be rectified and hasn't caused too much disruption. 

George Ellis was baptised on 12 June 1774 at Holy Trinity Church in Guildford Surrey, the son of James Ellis and Elizabeth Bridger.

George is located as an apprentice, which confirms that George at the age of 17 years, was apprenticed to Richard Fludder, a blacksmith of Puttenham for a period of 4 years, to learn the trade for his keep and a wage of 2/- weekly for the first year, 2/6 for second year, 3/- for third year and 3/6 for the remainder, but he was turned away without notice after 3 and a half years. 

We can therefore estimate the time he was apprenticed was from 1791 - 1794 or 1795. We know he joined the military in 1797, and that he was married to an unknown wife pre 1805 because when he marries Sarah Beagel in 1805, he is classed as a widower. 
Marriage to George's second wife - Sarah Beagel 1805. St Mary's Guildford
Marriage to George's third wife  - Sarah Virgo in 1824 at Holy Trinity Guildford,
who signed her name as Mary Virgo!
Death Certificate for George Ellis 1850.
There is still much to discover about George, and as I uncover further details I suspect that another Ancestor of the week post will be waiting in the wings........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...